Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Some Big Thank You's! and some iphone pics

More Thank You's!!!
To Alice Cullam, Nicholas Martin, A couple of Anonymous People, Indrani Winfred, Lynn Gail, and Joel Newman. Amazing! Thankyou everyone! I can't wait to get home and print all the cards and posters and limited edition prints! Honestly, I'm so happy, and really looking forward to sharing my work. Big Love to you all!


Taken on my iphone! Such a sweet camera! Just a pic of one of the adorable children in the camp.


iphone pic. There are so many children in these camps. They are always so happy and follow me around, but the sad fact is that the reason they are so noticeable all the time, is because they are not at school.


This is Hebens, I have completely fallen in love with him and am trying my hardest not to partake in the tempting child trafficking ring and bring him home in my suitcase despite the fact I'm already enlisting him in child slave labor by forcing him to carry my tripod all day for far below minimum wage. He also works as my translator as he has great english for an 8yr old who can't afford to go to school. His favorite English phrase is "you sexy mother fucker" Although I'm pretty sure he has no idea what it means. He just likes it because everyone laughs when he says it. Too Cute, I tell you.


This family have been told to pack up their belongings and leave. They are being forcibly removed by the Mayor from the central park camp in Petionville . They are given 500 USD and told to pack up their lives and move on. Many have no place to go and large families to support. Others are moving back in to partially destroyed homes that have been tagged as unsafe.


I have been spending the Last few days teaching photojournalism at the Haiti Reporters School in Port Au Prince, and otherwise have been spending my time photographing in one of the largest tent cities in PAP. I am shooting exclusively film at the moment so these are only photo's from my iphone, but I thought I'd keep you up to date with what I am doing. I have decided to give all my attention to documenting life in the camps as this is the reality of day to day for most most Hatians, even thought there is a lot of politics at the moment around the return of the previous exiled dictator "Baby Doc" and the current Presidents stance on the rigged elections. I'll leave that to the other photographers to cover for now...

There are so many beautiful and heartbreaking moments in these camps. Resilience and struggle sit side by side. People tell me of the nightmares that haunt them, of the people they lost in the earthquake, while new born babies cling to their mothers, unaware of the crisis and disadvantage they have been born in to.

I hope my photo's are doing this story justice. I feel I've witnessed the hard reality here. I'm looking forward to sharing this story as an exhibition at Sydney's Head On Photo Festival.

Link

No comments:

Post a Comment